Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Some Favorites of 1993

From: am672@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David J. Zimmerly)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 00:11:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Some Favorites of 1993
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca

OK, I've been mainly lurking, but I do want to add to this message
and the mention of Meryn Cadell. First of all, she really IS worth
checking out, and you can discover her for yourself on TWO existing
albums; "Angel Food for Thought" and "Bombazine". I admit to a'
somewhat biased opinion of Meryn since I lived with her and two
other people during our student days in Toronto in 1983-84. Even
then she was hanging around on Queen Street, bravely getting up
on stage on Elvis Mondays to try out her unique brand of singing,
stories, performance art etc.

While we're on the topic of cool Canadian female artists, another
one you might add to your list is Mae Moore. Her first album
"Bohemia" has been out here in Canada for about a year, but is
only now washing-up on the shores of our neighbour to the south.
Put this lass in the same anointed circle as Sarah, Jane etc. for
she certainly deserves to be there and you'll soon know why.

Oh yeah, the mandatory acknowledgement about Kate...The Red Shoes is
not bad, but lifelong fans of Kate know in their hearts that they
have felt stronger flutters - let's not kid ourselves. Personally, as
long as Kate is into doing vocal collaborations, I would like to see
her try something with someone from that select group of "peers" which
the gaffa types seem to have a remarkably consistent opinion about
(since they don't seem to agree about much else). How about Kate and
Sarah, for instance, in a spare, natural Celtic-type duet. Hmm, come to
think of it, Loreena McKennit might be another possibility...Well,
I'm about to be dropped by Big Brother so I'll end this post-Xmas
reverie and wish everyone out there in cyberland the best of the rest
of the holidays.