Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reliligion

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1993 02:21:29 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Reliligion
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

       A gentle snow began around 8pm this evening to settle Long Island into
this lovely night.  Paula and I were decorating the tree in a leisurely,
unfocused sort of way, me wandering off now to stir the brown sauce for
tomorrow's dinner, now to wrestle a monster 14" round into the fireplace,
with champion Christmas music provided by Enya ("Shepherd's Moon"), Cocteau
Twins ("Four Calendar Cafe"), Happy Rhodes ("Warpaint"), and of course Kate's
totally wonderful, wanton perpetration, "Home for Christmas" (..."stormy
weather...be together..."; Go For It, Kate!!).  A joyful Saturday Within the
Octave of Solstice, Saturnalia, and Christmas (as applicable) to every love-
hound, especially the new friends I made last summer.

       Thanks also to those whose synergy this week gave me at least a
welcome lift of the spirits reading the newsgroup:  To Jorn (jorn@MCS.COM)
for a thoughtful and positive post Tuesday, and an illustrated followup
yesterday that I quite enjoyed (the portrait looked best to me with a 20x10
8514oem font supported by my VGA card).  (Though perhaps a bit too
homiletical, and thematically a stretch for the defining interests of this
group--especially at such length--I for one welcomed learning something
positive about where you're coming from, Jorn.  I agree on some things,
disagree on others, but that's not a thread for here).  To kirke
(smc@gandalf.rutgers.edu) for posting the handsomely formatted outline of the
Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram by Rodrigo Ferres; and to Robert
Henderson (robh@cyberspace.org) for his version--above all for his clear and
straightforward exposition of its relevance to Kate's song "Lily" <one 'l'; I
looked it up>.

       I was especially grateful to |>oug <nessus@mit.edu> for his empirical
reminders of what we know about how Kate expresses herself on these matters,
and again to kirke, for a rejoinder to Chris today that was direct and plain-
spoken (and necessary, Chris, at least from my observation) and at the same
time a model of respectful disagreement.

       It's December 25 all the way to Denver now, so I had better get some
sleep.  What have 51 of these taught me?  If they're quiet at heart, red and
green can live together.  Peace upon us all.

       "C'mon people,                                       Peter Manchester
       Let's get together                      pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
       Right now."  <Jefferson Airplane>            72020.366@compuserve.com