Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bring back Kate related posts! / LOVE HOUNDS T-SHIRT

From: nessus@twitch.mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 21:02:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Bring back Kate related posts! / LOVE HOUNDS T-SHIRT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <9312211523.AA14251@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU> arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) writes:

>   I'm curious where that estimate comes from.  Obvisouly the number
>   of people on the mailing list could be found out.  Was the number
>   of rec.music.gaffa usenet news readers an estimate from somewhere?

Yes, the newsgroup "news.lists" (or something like that) has estimates
of the number of readers of each group based on extrapolations
of data acquired from a large number of sites (but a small fraction
of all the sites).  The definition of a "reader" is rather loosely
defined as someone who has read at least one message in the group
during the polling period.  The polls are done every few weeks.

   <nessus@mit.edu>