Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Intergalactic Struggle

From: nessus@twitch.mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 19:20:47 GMT
Subject: Re: The Intergalactic Struggle
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <m0pAE7t-000iliC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

>   Allan's prices *define* the market.

I see.  Allen has cornered the market on Kate Bush collectibles?
There's no other vendors out there who sell Kate Bush collectibles?
The market for these collectibles does not work via the laws of supply
and demand?  Hmmmm.  All those vendors who advertize Kate Bush
collectibles in *Gold Mine* and *Record Collector* should be notified
of this!  I think they'd want to know.

>>     I don't see him as the kind of fan who obsesses over minutiae
>>     the way that we do, but neither is my girlfriend, and she's
>>     definitely a Kate

> What?! He spends every day dealing with Kate Krap.

Just because you have a business selling collectibles of an artist you
like a lot doesn't mean you obsess over whether or not "Gaffa" is
gaffer's tape, or whether the mules in "Get Out of My House" symbolize
sexual neutrality or stupidity.

>   I haven't claimed that Allen thinks the opposite of me. I have
>   simply presented my reasons for why I think that he's a slimeball.

You have posted your reasons why you think Allen is not a Kate Bush
fan (i.e. opposite of Chris Williams).  Unfortunately, none of these
arguments hold any water.  These are your stated reasons so far:

	(1) Allen runs a business with the goal of making a profit.
	(2) Allen once indicated that he thought many Kate Bush fans
	    are weird.
        (3) Allen once indicated that he thought many Kate Bush fans
            are suckers.
        (4) Allen once publicly expressed anger at John Reimers.

Well, Chris, I am afraid to say that I am guilty of all of these too:
(1) I prostitute my love of computer programming to pay my rent.  (2)
I think that many Kate Bush fans are kind of weird and that (3) many
are suckers in some important ways.  (4) Though I think John Reimers
is a swell guy in most ways, I was mighty peved at him over the issue
of the Night Flight video tape and had no qualms saying so.

> Everyone is free to judge for themselves. I will post them again
> when I feel that it is necessary, and I will probably feel that it
> is necessary the next time he posts one of his nasty little lists.

Well, when you do, I hope that you will point out that I am slimeball
too, for the very same reasons.

-- The angriest |>oug in the world
   <nessus@mit.edu>