Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-51 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _The Line, The Cross, The Curve_

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 01:06:48 -0700
Subject: Re: _The Line, The Cross, The Curve_
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:
> In article <NESSUS.93Dec8141737@twitch.mit.edu> |>oug writes:
> >In article <9312081135.AA09503@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU> arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) writes:
> >
> >> There is no public viewing of the movie planned for the US at this
> >> point.
> >
> >The Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA, will be showing it at some
> >point.  They had it in their printed fall catalog, but had to cancel
> >because the film hadn't been finished yet.  They said they would
> >put it into a future schedule.
>
>    ...and I tracked down a guy at Columbia who was booking theatres
> to show the film. I think we can assume that those plans have simply
> been delayed.

I am glad there is interest in showing the movie.  I almost typed
"scheduled" instead of "planned" in my quoted post but I wanted to
change Tom's wording as little as possible.  Tom was told by Sony that
they, which I would speculate means Columbia too, don't have the
rights to TLTCTC.  That could change of course or perhaps someone else
like EMI has or will have the rights, especially after Kate shows the
movie to promoters.  My question though is does an American branch of
some company even need the rights for a US theatre to show it?  Can
they get it from UK EMI (or whoever has it)?
---
AlexGibbs arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu |\| | (~, |-| ~|~ |-| /-\ \/\/ |<
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
 foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." <Douglas Adams
"Without the pain there'd be no learning.              \ / Constellation of the
 Without the hurting we'd never change."               / \  Heart  <Kate Bush>
"Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing? Mmm, do   \   Why Should I
 you think He had a beautiful smile?  A smile that healed."  \  Love You?