Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-51 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: IGG Alert! (was Re: KATE Alert!/TORI Alert!)

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 23:48 CST
Subject: Re: IGG Alert! (was Re: KATE Alert!/TORI Alert!)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2e8bdd$rqc@hydra.unm.edu> Lazlo write:
>chris williams <chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>> He told another close friend, who called about another artist and started
>> chatting, that Kate Bush fans were suckers who would pay practically any
>> price for stuff.
>
>As impolitic as it might be to say so to one of your friends, Chris, this
>is completely correct.  Nobody would be bothering to produce the stacks of
>aftermarket colleKTorscum trinkets that litter the pages of Goldmine if it
>wasn't.

   Sure, many of us are checkwriting sheep, willing to buy anything,
but it is an obnoxious attitude. And I believe that people have a
right to know exactly who the are dealing with.

>> It's also probable that the things he gets signed will be some of his
>> highest markup items. I can just see his next newsletter: "British TWW
>> Box Set - *Signed* by Kate!!! - $750.00 (3 only)."
>
>And if someone is crazy enough to pay that price, what do you care?  This
>isn't food or housing we're talking about here.  I've seen inflated prices
>on plenty of goodies I've wanted to buy and while it might annoy me that I
>can't afford them, if the sellers can get their asking prices, more power to
>them.

   I've said it before. Kate goodies are priced *far* out of proportion
to rarity and Kate's popularity. AB has used strong-arm tactics to build
his flock of sheep. And he is using Love-Hounds as a postage-free
advertising medium. Why should we have to put up with this crap?

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)