Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News Administrator <usenet@uncecs.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 93 08:21:35 -0500
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: (Bob)
Subject: Re: More Flamebait (Sizzle)
Sender: usenet@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (News Administrator)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 13:21:30 GMT

In article <2due10$q9f@netnews.upenn.edu> snelson@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Steve Nelson) writes:
>> Why, when Kate writes such "personal" songs, does she get all huffy
>> in interviews when interviewers ask her about them?
>
>Kate Bush is perfectly justified in not talking about her more personal
>songs.  For two reasons:
>
>1.  For one thing, it's a far different experience to compose and
>perform a song about your life in the privacy of a studio than it is to
>try to field interviewer's questions on the spur of the moment.  She's
>got a right to her privacy.
>
>2.  Anyone who creates a work of art often does not want to talk about
>it later in order to avoid finalizing interpretation of it.  Postmodern
>critical theory has allowed the author that freedom.
>
>=SN

I disagree to some extent.  Part of creating art is the posibility that you
may encounter fame even if it's temporary, and there is a price for fame.
I think there is more of a demand put on those artists who use music, especially
the "pop" (for lack of a better word) genre.  I'm sure that Kate feels a
drive and a need to write what she does the way that she does, and I'm sure
that she expects to be asked questions about her work.  She may not like it,
and it may become tiresome in time.  However, if Kate wanted to maintain her
privacy she's picked the wrong career.  I do agree that she should not have
to interpret her work for us.  That's our job as listeners or fans.  The
background of the song may help one to understand the artist, but the art
itself can have direct meaning for everyone who hears it in this case.  So I
think there is a difference from interviewing the artist and interpreting the
work.  The interviews with John Lennon show a good example of an artist who
seemed to understand the relationship between creating the work and facing the
media.  He didn't like it, but he dealt with it openly and in a direct manner.
When he was ready for privacy, he stopped writing.  When he started writing and
performing again, he expected the press again.  I expect that a lot of folks
will not agree with me, and that's okay.  Flame away if you will.

Bob