Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate & other reviews

From: Michael Colford <colford@clsn1231.noble.mass.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 11:48:19 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Kate & other reviews
To: Love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Well, the Dec/Jan 1994 issue of Out magazine (with Ru Paul on the
cover) in addition to a terrific article on Melissa Etheridge
since she came out, features a plethora of short record reviews.
I will post them below.  (Don't worry, they're short)

THE RED SHOES, Kate Bush - "Split me open with devotion!" Bush
implores on this CD's first single, "Eat the music," a tasty pop
platter rich with melody and blaring carnival horns.  The rest
of RED SHOES is equally juicy, bouncing from the catchy offbeat
"Rubberband girl" to spiritual ballads that hearken back to Bush's
"Cloudbusting" period, backed by the celestial sounds of the
Bulgarian women's choir.  "Moments of pleasure" is an intimate
piano- and string-laden number, and Bush comes off as a sage even
when she's mouthing homey lines like, "Every old sock meets an
old shoe, ain't that a great saying?"  Her best work in years.

TOGETHER ALONE, Crowded house - The Australia-based foursome are
best when playing unpredictable pop tracks like their current
crop-a mesh of eerie keyboards, blissful harmonies, and tribal
beats with universal appeal.  On the title cut Neil Finn's sweet,
reedy voice joins with a Maori band and worldbeat percussionists
to drum home the message : No matter where you are, you're not
alone in feeling alone.

ESSEX, Alison Moyet - Sweeping strings usher in the classy pop
dramas on Moyet's fourth CD since splitting with Yaz collaborator
Vince Neil.  Equipped with one of today's most beguiling voices-
and the slick production skills of Lightning Seeds' Ian Broudie-
Moyet whoops it up on danceable tracks like "And I know" and
"So am I," then brings it down to a soul-baring earthy glow, giving
her all on the album's closer, "Take of me."

PALE SUN, CRESCENT MOON, Cowboy Junkies - On their fifth and best
record these superb Toronot songwriters offer a collection of blues
and rock songs that resonate with an uncommon depth of feeling.
Dark lines like, "His eyes fell to me, as cold as a stonemason's
chisel" from lyricist Michael Timmins are embellished by chilly
musical arrangements, stark guitar riffs, and sister Margo Timmins'
vocal delivery, so shivery you can imagine watching her breath
freeze in the crisp December air.  Great music for whiling away
the winter.

Printed without permission, of course.  Thought you folks might
be interested, especially since its not the type of magazine that
you would be looking through for Cd reviews.

Have a nice weekend!
Michael