Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate sings title song for a movie...

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 93 02:55 CST
Subject: Re: Kate sings title song for a movie...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris here,

In article <2d7049$186@panix.com> David Silver writes:
>Tonight I watched a movie on TV called "The Magician of Lublin" - made in
>1979 and starring Alan Arkin.  It looked interesting to me because it is
>set in Poland in 1901, and is based on a story by Isaac Bashevis Singer
>about a Jewish magician.  Anyway, during a musical interlude, I thought I
>heard a familiar voice in the soundtrack. "Nah, couldn't be", I thought.
>When the credits finally rolled, there it was - Title Song, "The Magician"
>sung by KATE BUSH.  Is this common knowledge?  Does this song appear
>anywhere?  Is this a *find* or just old news?

   Old news, but good ears. It's not available on a soundtrack album
as far as anyone here knows, and there is a lot of talking over the
song in the movie. We have a German TV showing on tape, with German
overdubbing, so it is possible that somebody could edit both versions
together to get one complete version, but I doubt it.

>The good news is that I actually taped the movie and can go back and have
>another listen.  The bad news is that I missed the first 5 minutes on the
>tape, and don't know if the movie opened with Kate singing.

   Don't worry, it doesn't. BTW, Kate was simply a hired voice, as she
didn't write the music or lyrics, or play any insturments.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)