Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Flamebait (Sizzle)

From: histi@rosie.uh.edu (Thorpe, Richard G.)
Date: 23 Nov 1993 11:05 CST
Subject: Re: More Flamebait (Sizzle)
To: rec-music-gaffa@Ames.ARC.NASA.GOV
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.05.9311231216.N16638-c100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>, fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes...
>OK, I have been reading over all the interviews etc. that people have
>been kind enough to post from various sources...and a thought has
>been percolating in my mind (unusual, I know). To wit:
>
>Why, when Kate writes such "personal" songs, does she get all huffy
>in interviews when interviewers ask her about them?
> . . . .
insert 17
I second this, and at the risk of descending into utter
pomposity, it seems to me that the flaw in TRS may well
be that it is too personal.  The best art almost always
draws from personal experience, emotion, etc., but then
filters and expands upon it, taking what was individual
and giving it a more universal appeal.  (UGHHH--like I
said, pompous, but the appeal of e-mail is its unedited
immediacy, right?)  MoP obviously means a lot to Kate,
it is a nice song (to kill with faint praise), but it
doesn't hit me in the gut with quite the force I think
she intended it to.  Then again, what do I know.