Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush + Peter Gabriel (Dont Give Up) on Oprah!

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 18:51 CST
Subject: Re: Kate Bush + Peter Gabriel (Dont Give Up) on Oprah!
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8679cc1w165w@west.darkside.com> Phineas Narco writes:
>arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) writes:
>
>> at895@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kevin F. Holy) writes:
>> > by Peter Gabriel..."Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush"!
>> ..
>> > was wondering what album that's on.. I've got a sudden urge ot hear it. =)
>>
>> It's on _So_ and I love it.  (Yeah, I know some of you hate it.  _So_?)
>> ---
>
>I love it too... especially the great bridge.  Did you all know
>there were two videos made to this song... one of which is among
>the infrequent ones that are done all in one shot/take.  Gabriel's
>song, Washing of the Water, on US, is somewhat reminiscent of this
>song.  I wish he would do some more duets with Kate, though, their
>voices go well together... perhaps something with more lyrics sung
>by both of them at the same time and/or more upbeat.  Great song
>though.

    The one-take video is the real one, and the other one is the one
demanded by the record company.

    It was directed by Godley and Creame, and was a reaction to a trend
that they started; G&C were doing a lot of videos and they started
editing quicker and quicker, finally with Rob Junklas' _Boy's Town_
and Waung Chung's _Everybody Have Fun Tonight_ they had an edit on
every single frame. As it wasn't possible to edit any faster, they
threw it into reverse, and explored making videos without *any*
edits at all. Others are that Bruce Springsteen video that's just one
long zoom into his face, and those "anti-videos" by the replacements.
_Don't Give Up_ is one of the only one-take videos that actually
attempts to convey the message of the song. The record company
didn't get it, and apparently decided that they didn't get their
moneys worth, got someone else to do a video *with edits*, and
the cliche'd sepia-tone random footage that passes for deep, when
the director really doesn't understand the song.

   I love the discrete box that Kate is standing on, partially hidden
by her long skirt.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)