Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TRS opinion

From: yount@spot.Colorado.EDU (Michael Yount)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 00:42:08 GMT
Subject: TRS opinion
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@fang.Colorado.EDU (Net News Administrator)

Whew!  I posted an article about _The Red Shoes_ on Saturday, or thought
I had, but it never appeared, and today I was informed that the local
system delivers unreliably, and there's no way to trace postings.
I would appreciate e-mail fro anyone here who's been through a similar
situation.

In any case, here's what I feel about the new album:

Having just recently listened to _The Dreaming_ for the first time, it
seemed that "Big Stripey Lie" might have sounded better in context there
than it does on TRS.  Despite enjoying hearing Kate play guitar and bass,
I found the song a bit forced.

On the other hand, the much-disparaged "Eat the Music" was the first
song to attract my attention to the album on a casual first listen, and
might be the best song to draw new listeners to Kate's music.

My favorite song after 10 listens or so is "Song of Solomon," due to
its spare sound and the ambiguity of the "I'll do it for you" section:
is she impassioned or jaded as Isolde, et alia?

On another note, a woman who recently was involved in a breakup contacted
me, via computer, out of the blue yesterday.  She was feeling low, so I
suggested that I might send her a selection of songs by Kate.  Here are
the songs I'm tentatively including (keep in mind that I only have
the last 5 albums, including _The Whole Story_):

"Running up that Hill,"  "Wuthering Heights,"  "Cloudbusting,"
"Rubberband Girl," "The Dreaming," "Night of the Swallow,"
"All the Love," "And Dream of Sheep," "The Fog," "Love and Anger,"
"Eat the Music," "Song of Solomon," "The Red Shoes," "Wow," and
"Hounds of Love."  I'd welcome any comments/critiques on the
appropriateness of these songs wrt recent loss.

Tha,

Michael

yount@spot.colorado.edu