Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Canadian Charts - Weird

From: rbt@mailroom.itu.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 00:43:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Canadian Charts - Weird
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@kodak.rdcs.kodak.com (USENET NEWS)

In article <Pine.3.05.9311170805.B3810-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca> fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:
>According to the latest issue of The Record:
>TRS is at #13 in the album sales chart (in its first week)
>Rubberband Girl has been stuck at #44 (of 75) in the singles playlist chart
> for two weeks
>TRS is *nowhere* on the album playlist
>
>This suggests that Kate has a bunch of hardcore Canadian fans which
>will buy anything by her without hearing it first. While this is
>undoubtedly a good thing, it makes me wonder about the "legs" this
>album will have - i.e. how much more it will sell once the fans get
>their grubby fingers all over it. Surely the lack of radio exposure
>will not help bring in new buyers....
>
>Cheers, Fiona

Interesting point. Just watching this group you could see everybody
waiting for the release date- to immediately buy it. I wonder if the
record company has got the pattern down (ratio of hard core fans to
new fans) If Kate has a steady base with not much growth, that could
make for an interesting sales spike! (for the most part it's all over
within a week, and then some sporadic sales for the rest of time) :-)
Does anybody know sales figures on all Kate's releases to date and
how they compare to release dates?

-Bob T.