Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My impressions of _The_Red_Shoes_

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 22:48 MET
Subject: Re: My impressions of _The_Red_Shoes_
To: Gord Locke <glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (the rec.music.gaffa address)

Gord says:
> The Red Shoes: Hard to keep your feet still to this one.  One thing I
> could criticise about it is that it seems to be building up to a climax
> that never happens, like it never reaches orgasm.  But it's still real

Hmmmm... somehow I do like songs that go this way. Building up to a climax
that never happens. This leaves the way the climax would go open for the
listener's imagination. This way you do not only hear new details every
time you listen to a song but also you can dream up new details in the
part that's not quite there.

Another song that doesn't reach its promised climax is IMHO Sinead O'Connor's
'Jackie'. But this time it's not like a jumping hill, somehow it's just
cut off too early. Just a bit.

Yet another piece of music that tries to perfect the technique of building
up to a climax is Ravel's Bolero. I don't think I have to say more about it...

Bye,

Uli