Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Maureen, track order, Kates voice

From: greg@deming.eng.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Date: 15 Nov 1993 20:51:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Maureen, track order, Kates voice
To: rec-music-gaffa@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

100276.2176@CompuServe.COM (Marcel Rijs) writes:
>...those of us who are capable of evolving *with* her music
>(instead of *against* it) are the lucky ones.
At the risk of escalating into a flame war, let me just say:

Something has sure changed for me to feel that, on the whole, TRS is not a
Kate Bush album so much as a collection of songs.  "Why Should I Love You"
is a great song, but not a great Kate Bush song, and the performance is not
a great Kate Bush performance.  The title track is; ETM isn't.  I guess my
point is that the special quality inherent in Kate's music that prompted
evangelizing, and even an element of the "difficult listening" self-
congratulatory elitism (i.e., "not many people can dig Kate Bush, but *I*
can!"), is now no longer present.  Kate has grown more mainstream.  I didn't
typically like mainstream then, and I don't now, not even from Kate.

>..So why are you still on this list? (This question applies, BTW,
>to all KaTe-BasHers.)
Good question.  If I have to sign a loyalty oath, I'll quit the list.

>it's rather strange to categorize the songs, after, what, 2 weeks...
Yes, and this is the first album to get such treatment; though TSW didn't fare
that much better, it was still generally liked.

>So Kate is not really bothered with her voice - why are you all?
Because I buy her records, and I like what I like.  For example, consider
Brian Wilson.  IMHO, his "Pet Sounds" album (recorded with those Beach Boys
guys :-) is a brilliant piece of work.  I love Brian's singing on that album.
Compare that with the "Brian Wilson" album, released a few years ago.  It
doesn't even sound like the same guy!  I love him, respect his place in
history, and wish him well, but I don't like his voice now.  Oh, well.  At
least I still have "Pet Sounds".  Same with Kate.  I'll always have NFE, TD,
and HOL, so I'll still be a Kate Bush fan, even if I'm not raving about her
current release.