Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Maureen, track order, Kates voice

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Nov 93 15:13:35 EST
Subject: Maureen, track order, Kates voice
To: <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Hey there...

greg@deming.eng.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) writes:

> abm4@columbia.EDU (Andrew B Marvick) writes in the third person
> (as usual):
> > IED was wondering when someone would finally calm down from
> > the initial adolescent impulse to trash (mindlessly) Kate's new
> > music long enough to start LISTENING to it -- and thus to
> > notice, for example, the three "buried" spoken messages in
> > "Lily"
> Not adolescent, not mindless, but considered.

Oh really? You didn't need much time to consider things, obviously.

[Insult deleted]
> > Btw, the album is inarguably the greatest piece of recorded
> > music to be released in at least the last four years.

Certainly in comparison with the trash that is put out these days.

> > [remaining hyperbole deleted]

> Unlike Andy - the Oral Roberts of Love-Hounds, who sees a
> 900-foot-tall Jesus in every Kate utterance - I think Jane
> Siberry's "When I Was A Boy" beats the pants off "The Red Shoes".
> (...)
> It just means I'm not going to praise her latest work if I think
> it's inferior.  And not just inferior to her other work; inferior
> to others' work (like that of Jane and Tori).  Maybe you take
> exception to me stating that she has been in a creative decline
> since "Hounds of Love" and prefer to say her music has
> "evolved".  OK, it has evolved into a style that I don't enjoy.
> It happens.

...So why do you bash Andy, when clearly he *is* evolving, with
Kate, to her style, and call him what you call him? Why do you have
to use the term "inferior" (which is, to say the least, a highly
misplaced term), and compare it to some obscure artists? (i mean,
Jane Siberia is not even available here!) OK, I happen to know Tori
(Who doesn't :) ? ), but I would be overstating it when I said
Little Earthquakes is *better* than TRS. It's *different*, and it
really was my favourite album of 1992. But it wasn't capable to
make me c... cr.. cry (there, I've said it) at first listening,
TWICE ! That is maybe not the best measuring of anything, but as
long as Kate is capable of doing that, I am certainly beyond
discussing if she still is capable of "doing it" (making records,
I mean). To me, it means that she is still brilliant at what she's
doing, and those of us who are capable of evolving *with* her music
(instead of *against* it) are the lucky ones.

> I appreciate your enthusiasm, though; I wish I could honestly be
> that enthused.

...So why are you still on this list? (This question applies, BTW,
to all KaTe-BasHers.)

As for the discussion about the TRS song-by-song 'disection', as it
was called few days ago, I'd like to point out that I have merely
expressed my feelings about the album at that particular point in
time when I wrote the review. *Of course* the album grows, and *of
course* it's rather strange to categorize the songs, after, what,
2 weeks since the release. I do enjoy everyones reviews 'till now,
but don't pin me on my opinions I expressed earlier.

About Kates voice: she once said in an interview back in 1985 on
TV, I guess it was a Dutch programme else someone would have known
it on this list, that her voice was lowering - then already! She
said she was rather intruiged by the idea that her voice would be
like some other female artist (I don't know off-hand, it could be
Joni Mitchell or Janis Joplin, I'd have to watch the recording if
I have time), lowering with each new album. So Kate is not really
bothered with her voice - why are you all?

Finally, this discussion about the supposed original track order
is, as others have already pointed out, rather stupid. The order of
the song lyrics on the lyric sheet is "jumbled" simply because of
lay-out problems. Try to do this at home: fit 'The red shoes' under
'Rubberband girl' and you'll see it cannot be done. 'Top of the
city' would fit under 'And so is love', but then 'Why should I love
you' couldn't have fit anywhere. It's really simple! Why else would
the A-side be in the 'normal' order?
I mean really, this is getting very ridiculous.

Last remark: WHO IS MAUREEN?

Thanks for your attention (and excuse me for possible redundant
remarks, as I'm 2 days behind on LH. It's SO MUCH!)

Marcel Rijs
"Some say that knowledge is something that you never have..." -
Kate Bush, 'Sat in your lap'