Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Red Shoes Opinions

From: yount@spot.Colorado.EDU (Michael Yount)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 00:49:41 GMT
Subject: Red Shoes Opinions
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@fang.Colorado.EDU (Net News Administrator)

I've found myself playing _The Red Shoes_ compulsively, perhaps ten times
in the past week.  Plus (chastise me for being late) I listened to _The
Dreaming_ for the first time ever this week.  Both albums I find
remarkable in their variety and consistency.  That being said, here are
my LTHOs:

I see from many postings that consensus opinion points to "Big Stripey
Lie" as being one of the best-received songs on the album.  Although
hearing Kate play guitar and bass is a treat, I felt that this song
contains the craft I heard in TD without that same feeling of "approaching
the edge."  In other words, the decade plus that passed between the two
albums makes BSL seem a bit forced or precious here.

On the other hand, I do have something positive to say about "Eat the Music:"
it was the first song that attracted my attention to the album.
Although your complaints about repetition are understandable, this might
be the best song superficially to attract new listeners to Kate's music.

After numerous listens, I find the song which I most look forward to
hearing is "Song of Solomon," which seems more spare than most of
her arrangements.  I enjoy the crescendo of the "I'll do it for you"
section, although the reference to being tired of love and the "Wop-
bam-boom" make me wonder how much sarcasm she wishes to express.  Is
she wishing to play these roles, or is she lamenting being forced to
play them?

Three final items:
What makes Kate's music so wonderful for me is that each album transcends
easily the significance of individual songs.
Gary Brooker's Hammond-playing almost inspired me to dig out my Procol
Harum albums, especially the one with the Edmonton Symphony. :)
Would someone please explain "George the Wipe" to me?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Michael

yount@spot.colorado.edu