Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

eat the music

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (the horizon you run to)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 18:57:12 EST
Subject: eat the music
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM> sez:
>I'd have to agree with Vickie... I don't know
>how people can be so sure of their opinions after such a short
>listening span.

heh. i'm coming to agree with this as well. some of my gut reactions
to the first few listens are being tempered (or forged stronger) with
time. for instance...

>I will say something about Eat the Music, however, which has
>gotten lots of bashing.

i've come to like "eat the music" over time. my intial reactions was
something along the "boring" theme, or perhaps the "why is KaTe trying
to be ethnic?' tack. admittedly, the song is repetitive, but that is
part of the style of music that she is drawing from. as it is, i enjoy
african pop music and, while "eat the music" may not be a stellar
example of some of the brilliance of afropop, i've come to enjoy "eat
the music" for what it is as well.

i'm reminded, somewhat, of the criticism that was laid against KaTe's
rendition of "rocket man": that it was a "pale reflection" of reggae
music, from which inspiration of the cover was taken. in "rocket man's"
case, KaTe took elements of reggae and melded it with traditional irish
instruments and made something interesting-sounding. with "eat the
music," KaTe has been less creative, more or less being true to the
style that she is starting from, but taken for what it is, it's still a
nice, inoffensive ditty.

_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu            /\             co-ed naked usenet