Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: NetNews Administrator <news@ugle.unit.no>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1993 16:33:51 +0100
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: dunker@Lise.Unit.NO (Thomas Dunker)
Subject: Re: KaTe and Prince
Sender: news@ugle.unit.no (NetNews Administrator)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 93 15:33:44 GMT

In article <9311052156.AA06144@templeton.cchem.berkeley.edu>, kyrlidis@templeton.CChem.Berkeley.EDU (Angelos Kyrlidis) writes:

 > Not exactly ecto material (what isn't these days? :)), but since it appeared
 > here I might as well post here too.
 >
 > Meredith writes:
 >
 > m>Why Should I LOve You:  This song has GOT to go.  I *knew* Prince would
 > m>destroy whatever song on the album he had a hand itn.  Gag.
 >
 > and Jessica writes:
 > j>I mean, I just don't *listen* to music like this. blech.
 >
 > I know these are your opinions, and I respect them, BUT: ;-)
 > KaTe is obviously a Prince fan (see Constellation of the heart) and can
 > write damn good and catchy funk, and who is better than Prince to jam
 > with on such a tune? (even though they didn't quite interact in its
 > creation). I listen to music like that, and think that the
 > song is outstanding. In fact I've never imagined the Trio Bulgarka as
 > being funky divas :), and yet they add to the brilliance of the tune.
 > I love the way their voices blend into the keyboard riff in the intro.
 > I would judge the song for its own merit and not for who is in it.
 >
 > m> There you have it, MY *OWN& OPINIONS.  I don't care who agrees or
 > m> disagrees, so there.
 >
 > j>and now you've got mine too.
 >
 > and mine ;-)
 >
 > Angelos
 > PS. If we want to be critical, we should start accusing KaTe for plagiarism,
 > because 'Constellation of the heart' sounds a bit too much like 'New Power
 > Generation' a Prince song from the Graffitti Bridge era, and the bass
 > line on 'Top of the City' is a blatant ripoff of Tony Levin's style.
 > But I like both songs, so I won't. :)

 I didn't like Constellation of the heart. Not just because Prince was in it,
but the whole song just wasn't really Kate the way I like her. The intro sounds
promising. Then when they get to the chorus you have the sound of Prince, and
KaTe is left in the background. KaTe's music never was like that, and I hope
it won't be again. A Norwegian review of TRS gave a four out of six mainly
BECAUSE there "is nothing new on this record". Hogwash!! Kate has never sounded
newer to me before, and even when she does, I wish it wasn't so. Okay, so KaTe
does many unexpected things, but collaborating with Prince?!?!?? Good thing it
was only that one song. I can't say that I'm disappointed with TRS, but it's so
varied, it's hard to see the songs relating to each other, I mean like in The
Ninth Wave. That is her best work, period. Maybe I just need some more time with
TRS, KaTe's music needs some time to sink in. That is how I tell good music from
bad. Easy come, easy go, sort of.
 You're welcome to comment on these opinions, which are strictly subjective.

 Tom

"And dream of Sheep..."