Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the magenta footwear

From: nrc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1993 00:57:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: the magenta footwear
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

woj@remus.rutgers.edu (dressed to ingest) writes:

> initial impressions after a few listens are varied. a few songs are
> quite nice (song of solomon, lily, the red shoes, big stripey lie); a
> few songs are quite ignorable (constellation of the heart, you're the
> one, why should i love you?);

Huh?  If you find "You're the One" ignorable, we must have been wired
using completely different schematics.  "Constellation of the Heart"
sounded like a throw-away to me at first but there's a lot in there.

> the balance are nice but somewhat
> unremarkable. i like it less than the sensual world on first listen but
> not out of any complaint that "this is not the KaTe i know and love."
> my prime complaint is that many of the songs here are not uniquely
> KaTe. *any* popster could have recorded the ignorable songs.

After listening to TRS for over a month now, I like it much more than
_The Sensual World_.  TRS strikes me as being the product of a much
more focused vision.  Compare the way she uses the Trio in the two
albums, for instance.  In TSW they seemed overused and overdone, on
TRS they add just the right accent.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  nrc@bsbbs.Columbus.OH.US