Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: misc kate murmurings ("GAFFA")

From: "Ottis R." <BOYD@unb.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 14:06:12 GMT
Subject: Re: misc kate murmurings ("GAFFA")
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@unb.ca

In article <9310291118.AA04277@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU> arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) writes:
>But gaffa is from the song "Suspended in Gaffa" on _The Dreaming_
>and is generally believed to refer to gaffer's tape, like duct tape.

It could be, but I dunno.  It might be an idea to undertake an
extensive study of the meaning of "gaffa".  On the other hand, why
doesn't somebody ask Kate?
(I can't believe somebody hasn't yet, though)

  Anyway, there are at least  these other possibilities:
2. a gaff is an iron hook used in fishing
3. a boom or spar used to support an extension to fore and aft
   sails

(these both have to do with suspending something, as could the
duct tape idea, that being definition 1. I know, you can't be
suspended "in" a pole.)

4. from OE *(ge)gaf-spraec* - blasphemous or rude speech
5. from Mod. French *gaffe* - "a remark by which one 'puts ones

(both 3 & 4 having to do with social blunders which might hinder
or "suspend" one's position in certain company - it seems to me
this has more to do with the song than any actual physical
hinderance)

6. (slang) a fair or other petty amusement

(could be a reference to an entertainer's career going
nowhere - not likely, this)

There are other definitions which I can't stretch to fit (all
definitions are found in both the OED and Collins).  Having done
this crude search, I'm inclining toward definition 5, since it also
comes closest after "gaffer"-without-the-"r" to the pronunciation
used in the song (very very extremely slight "e" - unless sung, then
it would be definite).

If, however, somebody whose brother went out with
a girl whose cousin knows somebody who runs a newstand next to
Kate's studio tells me for sure that it is a reference to duct tape,
I'll defer to authority.^^^^^^^   =-)    -- Ottis