Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eat the Music interpretation (as everyone takes cover ;)

From: brownfld@rcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: 29 Oct 1993 03:56:38 GMT
Subject: Eat the Music interpretation (as everyone takes cover ;)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

     I've heard ETM on the radio a few times, and I can't help but get
this interpretation:  Is Kate subtly reprimanding her fans?  From
memory, "Rip me open / with devotion / stick your hands in / and rip
my heart out".  Is this really supposed to be a fruit?  Hmm...
     The song itself is very I-IV-V-IV-Iish, very bouncy, very
commercial.  I can't help but think this is intentional, and I can't
imagine Kate writing a song for the market.  So what interpretation is
left?  That's what makes me think she's taking a swipe at possibly
over-devoted fans who want too much from her?  Maybe?  I don't know
what exactly what would cause her to feel that way, but... I dunno.
And taking a swipe at commercial music?
     Interpretation aside, I enjoy the song, but it's _way_ down there
on my list.
							Ken.

PS: Two surprises, 1) I haven't bought CDs in two months! and 2) a local
    college rock station went commercially alternative.  I'm in hell/sortof-