Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

You new here?  Get used to it.  It's one of a thousand layers of
denial used by those who can't accept that Kate may have done
something less than perfect.  They said it about "Reaching Out," they
said it about "Rocket Man" and now it's "Eat The Music."

I rarely have any difficulty seeing the subtleties that people
talk about in these songs.  For me, however, these subtleties are
easily outwieghed by other things that I see as defects in those
songs.  Ultimately, it still comes down to a matter of taste.

Aside from "Eat the Music," I think TRS is a great album.  Soon the
faithful will be too busy with the uncultured barbarians will say it's
too commercial or too conventional to worry about the uncultured
barbarians who don't grasp the brilliance of one particular song.

>    The problem that you may have with the video is context.

The problem he has with the video is that it's boring.  Providing
context may, or may not correct that problem.  Kate is going to have
to come up with a whole truck load of context to save this snoozer.

> _Eat The Music_ isn't really a "music video," it's a segment of a film. i
> A film with a story-line, acting, direction and other elements.

Golly, all those things in one film?  She's nothing if not innovative.

> Some claim
> that she looks bored, I think she looks like she is under a spell.
> Given the story of _The Red Shoes_, the latter is a *bit* more likely.
> Very few films of any length can be understood by excising a three
> minute segment.

Under a spell, or perhaps exhausted.

>   It may have been a mistake to release the video alone, without the
> album (which may explain why we haven't seen this video on eMpTyVee
> again. Maybe Kate wanted it pulled.)

The album may suggest a mood or theme but it doesn't seem to provide
much context for "Eat the Music" relative to the film's story line. This
doesn't appear to be a concept piece like _The Ninth Wave_ where the
music tells the entire story.  Rather, it seems likely that the film
tells a story based on the song TRS and woven around the other songs.

The plot described in the London Film festival information would lend
itself very well to this kind of format.  Traveling through the land
on the other side of the mirror, her guide could show her different
scenes of her life and loves that would help her understand the secret
to breaking the curse (sound familier?).

   "Melons!"

     -- Crow T. Robot watches "Eat the Music"

`
"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com