Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: BSL US and UK

From: dbk@ltpsun.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dan Kozak)
Date: 21 Oct 1993 18:51:09 GMT
Subject: Re: BSL US and UK
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9310191956.AA11634@dlsun87.us.oracle.com> jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman) writes:
> it's a fact of the industry that there will be tweaks between the time
> the tape leaves kate's grubby palms and the time you put the CD in your
> player and hit the button.

> it's called mastering, and it's inevitable.

Do we know for a fact that Kate _doesn't_ supervise the mastering
herself?  Many artists do.

In the case of digitally mixed  program, it's not _necessary_ that the
mastering process involve making _any_ artistic or corrective changes
at all--it's simply a format/media transfer. You can even do the
mastering yourself with a CD recorder.  In any case, it is not a "fact
of the industry," nor "inevitable" the way it was in the days of
vinyl.

Dan Kozak (dbk@ltpsun.gsfc.nasa.gov)
--
Dan Kozak (dbk@ltpsun.gsfc.nasa.gov)