Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on MTV (for West Coasters)

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 19 Oct 1993 11:56:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate on MTV (for West Coasters)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <CMM-RU.1.3.750922386.vickie@pilot.njin.net> vickie@pilot.njin.net (WretchAwry) writes:
>The video is fantastic! Kate, a very beautiful Kate, whirling her
>hair around, dancing on fruit, singing with a full South Seas(?)
>choir, losing herself in the voodoo of the moment...it's great!

I disagree pretty strongly.

There's no story.

The music is even more repetetive than I recall.  The rhythm section is
nearly identical all the way through--which could be forgiven if it were
(a la Paul Simon) REAL sounding instruments, which have the energy of
a live performance (not that I said "sounding" not necessarily REALLY REAL).
But instead it sounds like stuff I've done where I just looped a rhythm track
for lack of any better idea, while I diddled over the top.

And then the vocals, which I didn't realize before, are just as repetetive.
No really noticeable variation to speak of, just repeating the same phrases
over and over and over....it might work for techno, but I expect more when
there's a vocalist, especially one of Kate's caliber.

It's catchy enough that I'd say the song will grow on me, probably more
than anything on TSW, but still pretty disappointing.

On the other hand it is nice to see Kate looking well again--the promo
pix for TSW that made her look 40 or 50 were just horrid.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
      "Oh come on," says the other, "after all, how much did he publish?"