Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

BSL US and UK

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 01:17:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: BSL US and UK
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Thanks to David Koehler<drk@leland.Stanford.EDU> for emailing:
>Regarding the bass on the new Kate singles, I've notice a large difference
>between the BSL on the U.K. RBG single and the BSL on the U.S. ETM single.
>BSL on the UK single has the bass extended much deeper than the US single.
>At first the difference seemed slight, since I was listening on headphones,
>but when put it on the speakers I noticed that the U.K. BSL was vibrating
>the room in a way the U.S. version never did.  I hope this is not an
>indication of the over all level of care put into the album!

Dead right:  there is no comparison--except that unfortunately, there is.  It
is very clear that the US release has been equalized for the <supposed>
market.  It is not carelessness, but deliberate and unacceptable manipulation
of the artist's work.  BSL on EtM is missing a whole octave of bottom bass,
and along with that has been goosed about 2-4db. in overall level as shown on
fast electronic level indicaters.  But it showns nearly the same on meters
with true VU ballistics.  This is an eq tailored for the kinds of FM stations
that play on the speakers in your gym.  It'll put out on the rack systems in
the mall, too.

BSL on Sony/Columbia has been doctored in quite a different way than "Ne
T'Enfuis Pas" in its second release.  An attentive listen to the track on TWW
shows that neither the balance nor the extension of the bass has been
altered, only the vocal level raised.  Since I tend to set my volume so that
the voice level sounds right, that mix seemed bass-light compared to the
first release (B-side of TGaT).

In the circumstances I must suspend, if not withdraw, my characterization of
the bass sound on EtM itself.  We won't know what Kate expected it to sound
like until we get a release that reflects her own production judgment.

                                                            Peter Manchester
     "C'mon, we all sing!"                     pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                     72020.366@compuserv.com