Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Besides Kate . . .

From: v088kczb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bruce L Young)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 00:12:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Besides Kate . . .
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <1993Sep28.155831.26727@leland.Stanford.EDU>,
jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey) writes...

>	I thought it might be interesting to have one of those threads that
>frequently pop up on single artist newsgroups about what other sorts of music
>the readers enjoy other than that put out by the artist to whom the group is
>devoted.  So, in addition to Kate Bush, what other contemporary musicians
>are other gaffa readers really into?

My "top ten" seems to change almost weekly, but this is a good sample of
what I've been into lately.  This, BTW, is not an "all time favorites"
list, although many of those are here and in high places.  This is just
a list of "the ten other artists whose albums are currently most likely to
land in the CD player" which happens to represent pretty accurately what
I like.

1.	Indigo Girls
2.	Bruce Springsteen
3.	Melissa Etheridge
4.	Lucinda Williams
5.	REM
6.	Patti Smith
7.	Joan Armatrading
8.	Marillion (with Fish)
9.	Al Stewart
10.	Rosanne Cash

Near misses:	Bob Marley, Dire Straits

The common denominator?  Virtually all of these artists show an intense,
emotional, personal style - lyrically and vocally.  Only Stewart and
Marley totally miss on both of these, and REM is questionable - but in
each of these cases the artist makes it on songwriting brilliance.  And
anyone who thinks Dire Straits doesn't have an intensely personal side
hasn't listened to "Love Over Gold" lately.  Wonder what this little
digression might have to do with KaTe???	;-)     ;-)     ;-)

-Bruce (v088kczb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)