Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate...commercial?

From: engjs@wombat.newcastle.edu.au (James Smith)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 05:07:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate...commercial?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@seagoon.newcastle.edu.au

Les writes:

> Some people have said that they don't like the new Kate singles because they
> sound too commercial.  Well...I haven't found the new stuff to be any more
> commercial than when "Sat In Your Lap" and "Running Up the Hill" were first
> released.  I never disliked those singles when they first came out....but I
> was shocked at the change.  Now, of course, I am not so easily surprised by
> anything Kate does because I expect to be surprised!   Kinda weird!

> Can any long time Kate fans back me up on this? ......and no...my nose isn't
> in the air.....I just think that some long time fans may share a different
> perspective.

As a 15 year fan I'll agree that Kate's music changes and continues to
change, and that the changes are usually big and surprising. It shows
that she is creative. It always amuses me to see her albums criticized
for "not being as good as the last one" when the critic means "different
from the last one."

Jim
--
James J Smith             | "I couldn't get over it. All these women
School of Engineering     | in the world...and under their clothes