Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

newscrud

From: news@cs.wisc.edu (The News)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 93 10:15:55 -0500
Subject: newscrud
To: uunet!rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: rsmith@wisp4.physics.wisc.edu (Randall K. Smith)
Subject: Re: Most Prized Kate Kollectible
Sender: news@cs.wisc.edu (The News)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 15:15:08 GMT

Let's see...that would be my copy of 'The Single File'.  Now, I know
that it's not too hard to find if you're willing to shell out $100+,
but I got it in a Pittsburgh used record store in the following
manner:
Self: (Looking behind counter to 'recent arrivals') "Hey, what in the
green box with 'Kate Bush' on it?"
Owner: "Oh, that just came in.  Some collection of singles, I think."
Self: "So, how much is it?"
O: "Hmm...I really haven't thought about it.  How much will you
offer?"
S: (checking wallet) "Well, I've got $8 on me.  How about that?"
O: "Hmm...nah.  Sorry, but I paid more than that for it."
S: "OK.  No problem" (Leaving, I head across the street to the ATM,
where I get out about $40, and then head back to the store) "How about
$20?"
O: "Hmmmmm...well, yeah, OK.  I'll sell it for $20 + tax."

And that's the story of how I managed to get 'The Single File', in
prime condition, for only $20--before I even knew what it was,
exactly.

Randy Smith
rsmith@wisp4.physics.wisc.edu