Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Kindness of Strangers

From: jlburk01@ulkyvx.louisville.edu (SYZYGY)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 05:38:25 GMT
Subject: The Kindness of Strangers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@hermes.louisville.edu (Netnews)

--
This is a followup to a question I posted earlier.  I'm pretty much answering
my own question for those of you interested.  Anyway, at the end of one of my
posts, I asked if anyone was familiar with a new group called The Kindness of
Strangers.  I never got an answer so I'm assuming that their still relatively
unknown.  As a matter of fact, I think I heard a promo and their debut album
JUST c
Today, we got the biography sheet for the group.  It's actually just two
people, Louise Rutkowski and Craig Armstrong.  Louise used to sing with This
Mortal Coil.  Now, one of the coolest things on the bio sheet is that Kate was
listed as one of Louise's major influences TWICE.  Also, Tori Amos was listed
once.  Another influence was Johnny Rotten (kinda oddly though I'm sure he
influenced LOTS of people who do music that doesn't sound anything like The Sex
Pistols).
Anyway, as I said before, their music is really beautiful and Louise has a
wonderful voice.  The sound is sorta adult contemporary but a bit too
experimental to be mainstream.  I, personally, love the orchestral
arrangements.  The lyrics are substantive (I think that's the right word) too.
They are definitely an incredible new group.
JILL L. BURKART                                  JLBURK01@ULKYVX.LOUISVILLE.EDU
	"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
     not become a monster.  And when you look in the abyss, the abyss also
     looks into you."  --Nietzsche
                                 FLUSH RUSH!