Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Just a few comments/questions (Pretty long)

From: "Jerry Mahone" <p00792@psilink.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 00:07:59 -0400
Subject: Just a few comments/questions (Pretty long)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Folks, I request flame-retardant protection in advance; I lurk more
than I post, but I couldn't resist just a few comments.

I don't know how appropriate it is to have lists of least favorite this
or that, but here's my .02:

     Violin - Just irritates me.  Don't know why.  No, I don't consider
              it too weird, I just don't like it.
     Deeper Understanding - Actually, I love the music, but as a computer
              person, I just find the lyrics a little irritating.
     Wuthering Heights - I know.  Sacrilege.  Oh well.

In general, I guess I don't really enjoy the first album as much as the
others, and I suppose this is because the first time I heard Kate Bush
was when I purchased _The Dreaming_ unheard.  I was searching for an
album based on two lines of a song (with the word, "butterfly", in the lines)
that I heard on NPR, and someone suggested it might be Kate Bush.  Well, it
wasn't, but at that point, who cared?!  Never did figure out who that was!

So, after _The Dreaming_, which I played for everyone in Techwood dorm
at Georgia Tech with my stereo cranked (Hey, it says to play it loud!),
I got _Never for Ever_, _Lionheart_, and _The Kick Inside_.  At the
time, I purchased music on the "family plan" and the "latest is
greatest plan", neither of which is necessarily valid.  The "family
plan" is where if Artist B appears on your latest album by Artist A,
then surely Artist B is worthy for future purchase.  Which to get?
Easy, get the "latest and greatest" by Artist B.  The implicit rule
here is that if you like what you get, work your way backward til' you
finish the discography.

So back to Kate; by the time I got to _The Kick Inside_, I just wasn't
that impressed.  After all, I had heard greatness and was working backward.
If I had heard her first album when it came out, I would have been
progressively more impressed with each release.  To make this short, I then
purchased anything related to her that I could, including each new
release (_HOL_, _TWS_, _TSW_).  Some perhaps more notable purchases:

     The picture disk version of _The Kick Inside_ with the Oriental
         looking cover.  (My original, normal vinyl version has the
         same cover -- never did care for the "country" cover.
     The Japanese vinyl of _The Dreaming_.
     The 12" singles of "Cloudbusting" and "RUTH" -- understand that
         these are the only 12" singles that I ever purchased, ever.
     The Marbleized LE of _Hounds of Love_.
     A 12" interview picture disk -- don't even remember when or what's
         on it (no turntable!).
     Several posters, including _The Dreaming_ and the "warrior", which
         is oriented on the diagonal so that the poster is a diamond.
     The LE #993 of _The Single File 1978-1983_ -- by the way, who has the
         lowest and highest numbered copies of this, and what was the
         total count?

Yes, I have the "ETM" CD Single, and no, it's not one of my favorites.
I like "BSL" more and more each listen.  And as an old EJ fan, I guess
I'm mostly happy that she covered some of his songs; I don't
necessarily like them that much, but I'm glad she didn't do them straight.

To close, favorite CD:  _The Dreaming_ and _HOL_ ( a cop out tie!)
          least favorite CD:  _TKI_
          biggest nit to pick:  I just hate muddy mixes, whether it's _TSW_,
                                or Gabriel's _Us_.   Hate the mud.  Love
                                the multilayering.  Fine line between.

BTW, saw Peter Gabriel a month ago and couldn't believe how much better the
music sounded (and at the OMNI!)!

Of course, all of this is IMHO.

Sincerely,
Jerry Mahone
p00792@psilink.com
Dis:  My company doesn't have access to the net, so I'm a proclaimer...