Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RMG defense

From: gaffa@mind.ORG (Valerie Nozick)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 22:51:08 -0400
Subject: RMG defense
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In an earlier posting, Mark Semich said:
>Every album she has released has been accompanied by reactions along the
lines of, "What is *that*?,' "Too weird," "Nobody could ever like that,"
and "Just who does this woman think she is, anyways?"

I only wish Kate would release songs that were 'too weird.' I love Kate
for her weirdness and creativity. It's just that lately she has been
resorting to mediocre musical cliches. EtM is just too damn repetitive. I
love the 5 bars or so that are endlessly repeated. And usually I can
listen to a song hundreds of times before I get sick of it (in the case
of KaTe, a few thousand). But in the course of EtM, she manages to get me
_hating_ that phrase, just because there's nothing else to the song.
Lyrically, EtM is simply not extraordinarily. This is the woman who wrote
songs like 'Room for the Life', "Cloudbusting" and the album TD. Or who
gave us the depth of TNW. Lyrics like 'A song of seeds, The food of love'
are trite. Samantha Fox could have written these lyrics, for all their
originality.

What it comes down to is that I love KaTe most when she's being her
strangest. (BTW, Waking the Witch is one of my favorite songs). Every
artist has her down days/down songs. Not all of TSW is bad, just like not
all of TRS will be bad. KaTe just chose a mediocre song for the new
single, which is all most of us can discuss right now for lack of advance
copies (envy to those who have them). Nevertheless, bad KaTe is still
KaTe. It is still better than 90% of the music out there. I just hold
KaTe up to higher standards than I do, say, Madonna. (although even
Madonna has some high quality songs...Just listen to most of Like A
Prayer, the album)

==> valerie
gaffa@mind.com

--
mind.org     404/659-5720     Public Access Usenet in Atlanta