Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate

From: Les <WADD@VM1.YorkU.CA>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 17:25:00 EDT
Subject: Kate
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Big Stripey Lie....controlled chaos!  I like it!

Someone asked why Kate hasn't used Prince's name in order to succeed
commercially....

First of all....I don't think Prince is "commercial".  IMO, he is an innovator
and a leader in his type of music....music that actually covers a wider range
than most people hear.  He takes chances...and has worked with many many many
mainstream and obscure artists.

Once you realize this...it is not surprising at all why Kate hasn't used his
name to help sell her album.  1) He is a contributer...not the chief songwriter
or producer (as he has been with some others)   2) Prince himself does not
always want to receive "credit".  He has been listed in other credits as "The
Starr".  3) Using his name would not necessarily boost sales....because
Prince's "image" automatically turns some people away from his music...without
giving it a fair chance.

Kate Rules!