Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Singles--some thoughts

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (the one who understood the tennis ball)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 00:49:13 EDT
Subject: Re: New Singles--some thoughts
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Markku Kolkka <mk59200@intianrastas.cs.tut.FI> sez:
>briarpatch!billy@uunet.uu.net (Billy Green) writes:
>>   Musically, yes, it's very repetitive.  I want to avoid calling it Latin
>>   music until I find what a Valiha is (an instrument played by Paddy and
>>   someone else).

>I've only heard the .WAV file version, but I thought it sounded
>African, not Caribbean or Latin. Valiha is an African (or actually
>Madacascan (sp?)) guitar-like instrument.

it's an instrument from madagascar that resembles a guitar in some ways,
but is more zither-like overall. it basically looks like a long tube with
strings on either side which are strummed or picked by both hands (the
valiha is supported at one end by the torso and a strap from the opposite
end usually is strung over the player's neck).

the kabossy is a malagasy guitar with five or six strings and partial
frets (checked one of the cds i have by the malagasy band tarika sammy
for the info on this).

_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu - 99.9% better than the rest of the bands out there