Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

new single

From: davisg@ava.bcc.orst.edu (Glen Davis)
Date: 7 Sep 1993 21:20:12 GMT
Subject: new single
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well nobody else has said anything about the US single, so here goes.  I just
ran out and bought the Eat the Music single and listened to it on my lunch
hour.
The cover is a bit unexpected.  Its a color photo of two hands (Kates?)
digging into an opened melon (maybe a small watermelon). This melon is
surrounded by many other opened (cut in half) melons and fruits (pomegranites,
guavas, mangoes, and the like).  The back of the jewel box is the same photo
only its done through a polarizing filter or something so its very dark and
reversed densities (light is black).
Inside, there is no booklet but the words to Eat the Music are printed as are
the musicians names.  The cd itself is half black and the other half has yet
more melons and this time bunches of grapes also.
First impressions of the music; Eat the Music is, IMHO, mediocre.  It has a
calypso type beat which is not too bad, but I must say, I didn't care much
for the chorus about 'like a banana, want a guava, etc.' The 12" version of
this song is pretty similar but with a faster tempo and more dance-mix type
percussion.
Big Stripey Lie, I liked much better.  It would be a great song if Adrian
Belew had done the guitar solos.  They're in the same vain as his stuff and
he could have just ripped it up!
Candle in the Wind is also on this single.

Cheers.

Glen