Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rubberband Girl single (UK)

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 12:30:30 GMT
Subject: Rubberband Girl single (UK)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: UseNet News Admin <cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

..was released yesterday, if you didn't know.

CD single is EMI CDEM 280, I expect the cassingle and 7" are TCEM
280 and EMG 280 respectively, but I haven't checked.

Cover is the same photo I described from the MM ad. The inside has
another photo (psychedelically solarised) from what looks like the
video shoot - KaTe is wearing a straightjacket (!) and is being held
by a small male dancer. There are some unidentifiable musicians in
jeans in the background. The CD itself is a half-picture disc with the
straightjacket photo in full colour on one half. Interestingly, the
photos aren't by JCB, but by Guido Harari - somebody tell me where
I've heard that name before?

Recording and mixing is by Del (groan 8-) - there seems to be a bit of
noticable clipping at the peaks, drums could maybe be more emphatic.

The Extended Mix isn't particularly interesting - just the vanilla mix
juggled around and with a bit of extra guitar and some bass drum.

"Big Stripey Lie" is a different kettle of fish. Very dark, desolate
mood, drum machine + mournful violin (Nige, maybe?) + very grungy
(probably not the right word) guitar. Sparse vocals, heavy, obscure
lyrics. The cheesey pseudo-Amercian accent kinda spoils it for me,
though. Still doesn't sound like KaTe's music to me but at least it's
reasonably wierd.

OK, so what does the Eat the Music single look like?
--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK. (+44 31 650 5978)