Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Big Country in Cambridge, MA

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 93 21:10:48 -0400
Subject: Re: Big Country in Cambridge, MA
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

jdo@world.std.com writes:

>Probably only of peripheral interest to Kate fans, but the Scottish
>band Big Country is playing a FREE concert at the Cambridgeside
>Galleria Mall in Cambridge, MA on Saturday, Sept. 11, at 3 PM (?).

These "free" things never seem to occur in DC.  <sigh>

>Kate sang on a song of theirs called "The Seer", on an album of the
>same name.

KaTe's single best duet (just because they're whispered doesn't mean
they're BVs) ever.  Thrill to it on headphones.

>These guys play Celtic heavy metal, if you can believe it

The idea of Big Country having ever played heavy metal is a laugh.  I'd
call it standard pop (bass, guitar, drums) with traditional elements
(bodhran, penny whistle, the occasional pipes, and loads of e-bow to
simulate all sorts of stuff).

>(though their newer stuff sounds more like Springsteen or something).

More aptly put, their newer stuff sounds like shit.  Chunks of _Peace in
Our Time_ were mildly acceptable.  "The Travellers" was superb.  Most of it
was abysmal.  These things happen.  <sigh>

At least we also got good work out of some of the boys with Townshend and
later with Fish. (note round-about KaTe tie-in:  Fish once said that he
wanted to sing a duet with her, and the album that features the Brzizickis
also has Davey Spillane, a name familiar to all KaTefans).

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "When I look in the mirror, I see a little clearer/ |
|SAFH Lite [tm]       |  I am what I am and you are you too./  Do you like  |