Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 6 Sep 1993 03:08:35 GMT
Subject: Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia) writes:

>So as yet I haven't bought "Debut," to which you can only be referring.
>Jon votes in favor...could I see some other hands?

It's good.  Took me a few days to absorb much of it.  I suppose what throws
most listeners is that all you have is the *voice* and percussion with very
reserved keyboards -- none of the smashing zing of The Sugarcubes' wild and
crazy instrumentation and instantly penetrating melodies.  Having seen
Sugarcubes live on a very good night on the "Life's Too Good" tour in a
fairly small club I can only appreciate this need for dynamism more.  But.
Her singing is good.  Her voice has the same elements that made her unique
before, and she has more avenues to show it off.  If you can get past your
prejudices as to what an alternative music doyenne is *supposed to be*
performing, then you'll go a long way towards achieving enlightment:
appreciating the fine music and the excellent music-making on the good album.

To rub some salt in the wounds of the reading snobs: I was struck on
hearing the 9th cut, "Come to Me", how similar Bjork and Debbbie Gibson can
sing if they choose to meet up at that end of the pasture.  For those who
have never heard Gibson other than crooning "Anything Is Possible" on MTV,
I suggest comparing "Come to Me" with 3 cuts from _Anything Is Possible_:
"One Hand, One Heart", "Moodswings", "Try".  Try to focus on the vocal and
the arrangements.  The two performers could have easily swapped songs or
sang together.  Amazing vision: Bjork and Debbie Gibson on the same
stage...  Can you guys and gals take that?

The have a lot in common, including proficiency at singing, strong voices,
keyboard playing, and thanking their mothers on the CD sleeve.  I bet they
could jam or sing Broadway/cabaret around anyone, together. :)

Someone hold me before I go fishing in old Olivia Newton-John records for
similarities to Bjork's harp-backed "Big Time Sensuality".... anyone with
a copy of _Xanadu_?

Okay, enough snob-baiting.  The point I am making is that the artists are
rather more adventurous than their fan clubs.  Pity.  Same thing happened
to k.d. lang and, yup, to KaTe, after _Lionheart_.

_Debut_ is well executed and dancable in places, always listenable, full of
detail and is brilliantly produced, which means, not overproduced, with
Bjork's voice unburried in potential avalaches of sound.  The voice is A+.
The writing is okay to good.  Definitely worth my $10.88 + 8.85% tax.  As
is side two of _Anything Is Possible_.

			"Everyone has their own opinion"

				-- Debbie Gibson

				-- Marek

:)

P.s Corki Hale's harp playing kicks butt, esp. since she is out there,
naked, and every mistake would be exposed.  Nelle Hooper, producer, did a
fine job blending Njork and Corki.  I want to know if Bjork performs this
one live, which means trucking a harpist and a heavy harp for one song...
Anyone can say what happened at the Forum in London?