Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Songs

From: larryy@apple.com (Larry Yaeger)
Date: 29 Aug 1993 00:43:09 -0700
Subject: Re: New Songs
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <yjc-270893220101@b61539.student.cwru.edu> yjc@po.cwru.edu (Jerome Chan) writes:
>In article <25maah$sl@apple.com>, larryy@apple.com (Larry Yaeger) wrote:
>[about making KaTe's new songs sampled by Chris available for Macs]
>
>> Sigh.  I've been trying to do this unsuccessfully for a week now. [...]
>
>Why not use Sound Extractor? I use it and it works.

Well, the problems I was referring to were network uploading problems, not
converting the sound files.  But, the various folks who've been trying to
convert them some way other than my low-level hacking approach might be real
glad to know about Sound Extractor (and I hope it solves the conversion
problem for me the next time around!).

After reading this I went and found Sound Extractor on sumex-aim (one of
the standard repositories of Mac utilities... sumex-aim.stanford.edu),
in /info-mac/snd/util as sound-extractor-131.hqx.  I downloaded and
de-BinHexed it, and uncompacted it (you need either the Extractor from
Compactor or the new general-purpose Stuffit Expander, also available
at sumex-aim), and looked at the documentation briefly.  It does not
explicitly mention .wav files anywhere, but it does mention handling
"custom types" and "sound data files", so it looks like this might
indeed do the trick.  (I no longer have a .wav file here to verify
Jerome's success.)

Thanks for the pointer, Jerome.
--
"The Lier shall get up rewards in burn pond & sulphor." - No Lie Party