Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori & Kate

From: Richard J Frost <rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 15:51:25 +0930
Subject: Tori & Kate
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I have been reading this thread for awhile now and thought I'd add
some of my own thoughts on the subject. As I dont see the benefit of
arguing about how one artist is _better_ than another (a very hard
thing to measure and to argue about IMHO) I have tried to
look at the _qualities_ we all like in both artists. Lets not divide
the Tori and Kate fans, lets come to some common ground we can all
agree on! B-).

I think the difference in cultural backgrounds of both artists makes
differences between each of their styles as visible as ever.

To me, KaTe's music has a very Irish/folk-like feel, which I enjoy very much.
This is not present in Tori's music, she has a very raw, hard-hitting style
that I find equally appealing. Tori music and Kate's both can be very
emotional, very sensual.

I see both artists exuding that truthful quality that shows that they
really are serious about what they are doing. Music from artists like
these always lasts. They may not have the mass-appeal of the plastic
commercial stuff that floods the airwaves, but their music will stand the
test of time.

Both artists are adventurous, willing to try new styles of music
without worrying about the effect on music sales (well maybe to _some_
extent :)).

Summing up, I really dont see Tori as a Kate clone at all, her style
is simply a result of the same artistic decisions that Kate made.

Maybe Tori and Kate should get together and do a song or two, imagine
the possibilities B-) ! It would really bridge the gap between hard
core Kate and Tori fans, thats for sure!

--
   .------.   Richard Frost                   _--_|\             .------.
(}/`HI  hi|   rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au     /      \ Adelaide   |HI  hi'\{)