Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 15:06 CDT
Subject: Re: Moments
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0oT5Nd-000Nj1C@zoodle.robin.de> you write:
>> I have had a great deal of trouble getting hold of the .au version of this
>> song. No matter what I do it sounds terrible, heaps of static etc. The
>> latest songs sound fine.  Does anyone still have the .wav version or better
>> still a working mac version.
>
>It's the other way round here. Moments is (relatively) fine, and the three
>newer songs are relatively heavy on the bass line. I think it might have
>to do something with Mulaw encoding scheme. Moments is encoded this way
>(it's a non-linear 8 to 16 bit coding scheme), the others probably not.

   No, the original audio source was pretty bass-heavy. I didn't have an
EQ available. I suspect that one or more of the audio generations had
badly aligned Dolby. The original version is the .WAV file. It was
captured via a 16-bit board and sampled down to 8-bit, but I assure
everyone that the audio quality is as good as possible in the limited
8-bit, 11-hkz format.

   Try listening to it via an external speaker system. I used headphones
when sampling, which may account for not noticing the over-heavy bass
as much, due to the nature of monophonic sources' bass on stereo
headphones.

>Would it help to have a 256 shorts table to convert it into a better 16 bit
>version?

   I would be happy to make a 16-bit version, but I don't know anyone
who would let me upload such huge files. It would take quite a while
for me to even *upload* the files at 9600 baud. But if enough people
want me to...

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)