Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

T-Shirt Update #3

From: ericf@netcom.com (Eric France)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1993 14:34:09 GMT
Subject: T-Shirt Update #3
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

LOVEHOUNDS T-SHIRT UPDATE #3 -- 16 August 1993

This article is to track the progress of the effort to create a Love-Hounds
t-shirt.  I hope to post an update each Monday.

STATUS 16 August 1993: Arrival of new nominations has slowed to a halt,
so normally I would be calling for votes now; however, Chris Williams
has returned home from SIGGRAPH and has announced an intention to
work on original artwork for this effort, so I am going to hold the
floor open to see what he comes up with.

NOMINATIONS:

1) Richard Frost (rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au) has nominated a color
jpeg of KaTe from The Ninth Wave.  Richard sez:
>This one was scanned from the back of album Volume II of the
>'This Womans Work' box set, using a HP Colour scanner and
>Ofoto on a Mac.
In case you cannot display it, the picture shows KaTe, in her life-preserver,
floating face-up in water, raising her right hand towards the point of view.
Brightly colored flowers float in the water around her.  She has a deeply
tired expression on her face.

The jpeg is available on ftp.uwp.edu,
/pub/music/pictures/b/bush.kate/ninthwavecolour.jpg

2) My (Eric France, ericf@netcom.com) submission is taken from the video
for the song "Cloudbusting."  It is an 800x600 jpeg of the silhouette of the
Cloudbuster, manned by KaTe, against a twilight sky.  In case you cannot
display it, the Cloudbuster is a large goldbergian device of levers, gears,
and cogs, with several large trumpet-like muzzles pointing up into the sky.
It was constructed for the video by artist H. R. Giger.

(besides being one of my favorite KaTe-related images, it also contains the
off-handed reference to technology which seems appropriate for a t-shirt
representing this newsgroup)

The jpeg is available on ftp.uwp.edu,
/pub/music/pictures/b/bush.kate/cloudbuster.jpg

3) Several people, including Jerome "Evil Tofu" Chan and Bill "Humble
Pseudo-Moderator not named |>oug" Wisner have nominated the cover of
the Sensual World.  It has been indicated that this image would be
best on a black shirt (I agree).

I have placed the good 900x900 scan of the LP cover in
/pub/music/pictures/b/bush.kate/sensualworld.jpg

4) Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu> nominated the
sand-through-the-hands pic from the promo posters and AOTSW.
Unfortunately, I don't have a good scan of this one.  Can anyone
upload one?  Preferably with the sand visible.

A t-shirt with this image is already available from one of the
mail-order companies -- I have one, it's pretty good.  The price
and address have been previously posted to this group.

5) Alex has also nominated the other Ninth Wave pic -- the one which
actually appeared on the back of the HoL album.  There are several
ok scans of this, but I don't have one I consider very good.

6) Someone nominated the picture with three superimposed images of Kate
in three different poses.  I have uploaded a scan of this to
ftp.uwp.edu:
/pub/music/pictures/b/bush.kate/triplekate.jpg

Alex Gibbs suggests:
>Phrase, Lyrics, etc:
>
>1. "Love Hounds... Suspended in rec.music.gaffa"
>  "Love Hounds" above photo and "Suspended in rec.music.gaffa" below,
>or perhaps the latter only, above photo.  Maybe with the Ninth Wave
>photo where she is "suspended" in water?  Love Hound (singular) might
>even better signify that the wearer is a love hound.
>
>2. Deeper Understanding
>  Obvious choice since it's about computer communication/addiction,
>but only some of it works for a shirt, I think.
>
>Well I've never felt such pleasure.
[...stuff deleted...]
>I pick up the phone and go, Execute.
>
>3. Hello Earth:
>  Goes well with the Ninth Wave photo since it's from that!  Try to
>interpret it as talking about the internet, especially starting in the
>second verse.  The internet interpretation is maybe too thin in the
>first verse.

[...complete lyrics to "Hello Earth" deleted...]

OTHER POSSIBILITIES:

It has been suggested that Chris Williams (one of the
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us) use some of the advanced tools at his disposal
to create some sort of composite image out of some of the digital images
which are generally available.  Chris has indicated he will look into this.

MISC:

Richard Frost has also recommended Serigraphia, Ft. Walton Beach, Florida,
1-800-226-3254 for the purpose of printing the shirts.
Eric France          | The spine is bound to last a life, tough enough to take
ericf@netcom.com     | the pounding, pages made of days of open hand.
Poughkeepsie, NY USA |