Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Songs now available in Sun audio format

From: hanson@ast.saic.com (Jeffrey Hanson)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1993 20:25:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Songs now available in Sun audio format
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@ast.saic.com

Thanks so much for posting the files in Sun audio format!  I'm always
amazed at how the internet works.  I've now heard 4 of the new Kate
Bush songs that I would never have gotten to hear otherwise.

As for my first impressions--I love it!  My favorite is And So Is Love.

I can't wait to get a clean crisp copy I can play on something other
than my Sun's little mono speaker!  I think its one of the most
beautiful pieces I've heard since Under the Ivy (though lyrically
fairly simple).

Moments of Pleasure is lyrically more meaningful--but for some reason
doesn't convey as much passion as And So is Love.  I find it rather
bland (for Kate anyway!).

I also like Rubber Band Girl--much more than I thought it would.  It
is fairly commercial, but it is distinctively Kate, and if that
is Prince doing background vocals (its kind of hard to make out on
this poor speaker), I think their voices blend pretty well together.

My least favorite is Eat the Music--but I've never been into English
people trying to do Latin rythms.  However, it is infectious.  In my
opinion, it is the least typical of Kate's work to date.  I'm surprised
this is the single, but then I was surprised that "The Tide is High"
was the first single of Blondie's Autoamerican album.  In my opinion,
that was the low point of the album (followed only by Rapture--the next
single). To me the Blondie comparison is valid, only because both songs
are radically different than the artists normal sound--and I'm not sure
it makes sense to release these as singles.  To me they would be better
appreciated by fans who will love all their work regardless.
Not to say its a bad track--but I defnitely don't think its the
best.

It is just me or do others think that this really may be the album
that breaks Kate wide open (with devotion?) in the U.S.?  I can
easily hear And So Is Love becoming a big hit.

Anyway, thanks for posting the .au format files Evan.  Now the only problem
is waiting until October to hear more!

---
Jeff Hanson                       | (619) 458-5130
4161 Campus Point Court M/S E3R   | hanson@ast.saic.com
San Diego, CA 92121               |