Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Don't Give Up on Don't Give Up

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Aug 93 15:24:51 EDT
Subject: Don't Give Up on Don't Give Up
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Andrea writes:
> Since it has come up....
> I like Don't Give Up, but when I first heard it I remember thinking how
> mismatched Kate and Peter's vocals seemed.  The engineering on them
seemed
> completely different.  Peter's seemed very grounded, very
in-the-room-ish
> and then in the chorus Kate comes in like an angel in a cloud.  I've
> since gotten used to it and don't see (hear) the discrepancy so much
any
> more.
> Does anyone else notice this?

Personally, I think Don't Give Up is superb, certainly a hilite in
an album of excellent songs (SO).  I don't find Kate and Peter's
voices to be mismatched *at* *all*.  I have never noticed anything
about the engineering or arrangement that is at all annoying,
unnerving, or discreping.  I love the song and I wish they'd do
more duets (Another Day is also breathtaking).

I finally got to see ASPEL and hear the new Kate songs,
thanks to Vickie.  I thought ASPEL was delightful, and that
Kate looked and sounded great.  As for the new songs, well,
some of them were a bit repetitive, but I'll have to listen
repeatedly to make an informed judgment.  I'll lay good odds,
though, that there will be people here who say, after hearing
this album, that The Sensual World was an absolute masterpiece.
Should be fun (and ironic).  I can't wait.

-mjm