Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Miranda Sex Garden

From: heretic@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish)
Date: 29 Jul 1993 23:39 CDT
Subject: Miranda Sex Garden
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

There I was - there I was - there I was. Deep in the heart of Houston. Keeping
low, of course - we Texans are fond of settling traffic disputes with handguns.
Shelling was heavy, but I managed to belly-crawl the last mile or two and
dragged myself into that Oasis of Funk, Sound Exchange. And what I found in the
used bin there gave me the necessary inspiration to face the Loop at 5pm -
because I knew I was duty-bound to make a long and tangential post to r.m.g.

Let me tell about a new thing. It's called "Suspiria," and it's by a band
called Miranda Sex Garden. Put it on your list - thank me later.

The arrangements are eclectic, and feature a wide variety of instruments and
found sound. The writing is intelligent and challenging, containing many
allusions but never being overwhelmed by its influences.

Here's the best part: the vocal chores are handled by a trio of Juilliard-
trained women with a weakness for madrigals.

Think Cocteau Twins with substance. Think "The Ninth Wave" with lots more
strings and weirder drugs.

This isn't genius, but it's lots of talent with plenty of Kate-appeal. I mean,
they do a cover of the "Woman in the Radiator" song from "Eraserhead."
Who could ask for more?
				The boy with the perpetual nervousness
								b r e t t

Take stuff from work! It's the best way to feel better about your low pay and
appalling working conditions. It's your duty as an oppressed worker to steal
from your employer. Take stuff from work! And goof off on the company time. I
wrote this at work. They're paying me to write about stuff I steal from them!
Life is good.

RemB]
albums. :)