Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MoP Conversion

From: larryy@apple.com (Larry Yaeger)
Date: 12 Jul 1993 23:18:39 -0700
Subject: Re: MoP Conversion
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <01H0CBNKU3VM000GEA@muwayb.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> katrina_michael@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au (Katrina Michael) writes:

>I have been able to get MoP from the FTP site that someone so kindly
>located there, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that
>converted the bytes (I have a Mac!)?  Although I have access to heaps
>of sound programs, not one of them seems to be compatible, and its
>driving me crazy because I'd love to hear Kate's song!
>
>I received MoP using the binary mode.  Was that my mistake?

Well, I have a method that appears to work, though it's a complete hack,
and I hope someone comes up with an actual conversion program (I'm sure
there must be one floating around the Mac software fileservers like
sumex-aim.stanford.edu)...

Binary transfer the moments5.wav file (it won't work with the moments5.au
file).  Using ResEdit, modify the file "Type" to be "FSSD", and the file
"Creator" to be "SFX!".  Then open the file with SoundEdit.  Under the
"Settings" menu, select "Set Pitches..." and in the lower set of "piano
keys" select the G key that is about 1 1/2 octaves below middle C (this
will result in a slowing of about 0.3746 - something close to those numbers
will be displayed in the little editable text window).  That's it.

There's some sort of header that happens so fast it is inaudible (fortunately),
and I can't guarantee this is the precise speed/pitch for the song, but
it certainly sounds like our KaTe.

If somebody finds a tool that does a proper conversion of .au and .wav files
to Mac sound files, it'd be nice to hear about.
--
-larryy@apple.com

"Shi Nou Kou Sho Inu Neko Programmer"  -  Takada Naoki