Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sick of You

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 15:38:15 PDT
Subject: Sick of You
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I'm not in the habit of jumping into flame wars once they've reached the
critically dull stage (a point which usually happens 'round the time when
there are posts by...well, nevermind), but since MY opinion is worth MUCH
MORE than the REST of you COMBINED, here goes:

First, there are FACTS, which can be easily proven scientifically:  The
Earth rotates around the sun;  the area of the hypotenuse of a right
triangle is equal to the sum of the areas of the two sides;  The Dreaming
is the Best Album ever made in the history of the universe.  These are
not opinions; they're well-documented facts.

Then there are opinions.  These are everything that is NOT a fact.
Fors example, almost everyone in this group is probably the WORST person
to judge the next KaTe Album, since we're all so prejudicial in favor
of her.  Now, someone will bring up the slamming of The Sensual World;
most of the slamming (not all, but most) was done by folks who discovered
Kate with The Hounds of Love and were expecting HoL II.  Not that how
long someone has been basking in the glow of all that is Kate matters;
it's the fact that they've SEEN THE LIGHT is what's important.

As for the College Professor example:  Someone like a Physics Professor,
their opinion is worth much more when it comes to physics than the opinion
of your average schlep off the street.  But liberal arts professors; well,
they're only that because they couldn't find an honest job.  An Art teacher
will ooh and ahh over a Jackson Pollack, but your average Joe will say, "Hey,
this guy just knocked over a paint can!", and in this case the non-art major
is right (imnoso).  Of course, your average human - hard to believe, I know,
but sadly, it's true - would rather listen to Michael Bolton or Vanilla Ice
than Brian Eno or Laurie Anderson (or even - dare I say it? - Kate!).  Of
course, in THIS case your average human is a cretin who should be shot point
blank with a powerful phaser, but then, that's not my opinion - that's a FACT.

- Stev0 the pedantic

"Work for Kate BUSH?  I thought you said BUSCH!  I was DYING to
do another beer commercial!" - Eric Clapton