Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: RUTH Video

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 93 10:16:34 -0700
Subject: Re: RUTH Video
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.07.9306300929.A13301-9100000@pd-dom>:
>I had taped a video of RUTH many years ago from MTV and it is quite different
>from the one that is included  on The Whole Story compilation video.  The band
>is dressed in brown robes similar to the type monks wear (?) and in the final
>scene KaTe is in an archery pose.  Does anyone recall this video and know the
>history behind it?
>Don Gibson

This was a performance Kate did for the British TV show "Wogan."  It
was originally supposed to be seen on that show and nowhere else -- the
"real" video is the one included on The Whole Story.  However, MTV
decided to use the Wogan performance instead.  Apparently this was
because they insisted on a video in which Kate was lip-syncing in order
to help break Kate in the USA.  (Although a major star in Britain and
Europe by this time, she was still virtually unknown in America.)
There were rumors at the time that MTV thought that the real video was
too erotic, but that doesn't seem to have been true.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov