Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sick of bashers (was: Re: Sick of KB)

From: jeffo@uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 04:41:19 GMT
Subject: Sick of bashers (was: Re: Sick of KB)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: jeffo@uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)

Although I question the wisdom behind posting to a Kate Bush fan group
about how someone used to be a Kate Bush fan but isn't any longer, I
do respect that opinion and would never post about how I'm such a
better fan because I do this-and-that in the name of Kate Bush.  I
just hope that nobody posts a response about how Kimmo Lindman really
doesn't know Kate Bush or didn't hear her music correctly.

Kimmo Lindman's post made me think of the worth of this musical fan
group as a whole.  From what I've seen, there's been little traffic in
this group and most of it is people offering their opinions about how
much they like or dislike something Kate Bush has done.  In my
opinion, this doesn't seem to be condusive to sparking conversation.
If I like some song and someone else hates it, there is no logical
reason or justification why we have our opinions, nor need there be
any.  For me, the highest value of this group lies solely in the
announcements about what album is coming out, when it will hit record
stores and guest appearances on talk shows and the like.  The sound
samples of Kate Bush's performance on that Aspel talk show were great,
and I'd again like to thank all who were involved in that.  To me,
that is the kind of thing I get out of this group: sound clips right
from Kate Bush's mouth or newest CD so I can judge for myself whether
I think it's worth my while hearing anything more.

Unfortunately, there does seem to be at least one person on this group
who seem rather bent on making their opinion law.  As if that take on
some song is what counts and any other contrary opinion is pure trash.
It's such a shame because putting others down really squelches any
conversation or at least threads where people simply state their
opinions.