Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Recording Aspel & Co. episode

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 93 12:31 CDT
Subject: Re: Recording Aspel & Co. episode
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9306200006.tn04290@aol.com> you write:
>I asked my brother about possiblities of recording the Aspel show
>here in the states off a satellite.  He works at a TV station here which
>is an ABC & CNN affiliate.  He said any satellites would be too low on
>the horizon, but that in all probablity it would be carried over micro-
>wave relay towers in England, as they are much more in use over there,
>smaller geography, etc.
>
>Any truth to this, you folks over there.

   British trans-Atlantic transmissions are via satellites over the
Atlantic ocean, Telsat and BrightStar. The BBC has 5 million pounds
earmarked to start a "BBC TV World Service" but unfortunatly the
news is the only thing airing so far..

>He also said converting PAL to NTSC wasn't a problem, but the picture
>would be b/w.

   No, it's not at all difficult to convert PAL to NTSC, and there's no
reason why it should have to be black & white. We convert PAL to NTSC
all the time. His confusion may be caused by the fact that NTSC
satellite receivers can pick PAL transmissions up, and PAL can be
displayed on NTSC monitors in monochrome.

>Just throwing this info out to all you other folks in the states who
>are envious of BBC programming they can't get.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)